Alpha Chapter has a membership of over 100 women educators from Austin ISD, Austin Community College, Concordia University, Delta Kappa Gamma Headquarters, Eanes ISD, Killeen ISD, Leander ISD, Pflugerville ISD, Round Rock ISD, Taylor ISD, Texas Education Agency, and the University of Texas. They include teachers, librarians, administrators, support staff, college and university professors, state agency employees, independent educational consultants, graduate school students, counselors and educational writers, both active and retired. There are five buildings at the University of Texas named after Alpha members and twenty-three school buildings in Austin named after Alpha members. Alpha members currently serve on state committees including scholarships, communications, achievement awards, music, program of work, and world fellowship. State recognition for Alpha Chapter includes memorial fund contributions, certified chapter website, double honors for scholarships, five star newsletter, exemplary yearbook, leadership trailblazers and Annie Awards for programs. Alpha members give thousands of hours each week in volunteer services in the Austin and surrounding area. The members of Alpha Chapter have, for over eighty-three years carried out the purposes of the society.
The Purposes of the Society
- To unite women educators of the world in a genuine spiritual fellowship.
- To honor women who have given or who evidence a potential for distinctive service in any field of education.
- To advance the professional interest and position of women in education.
- To initiate, endorse, and support desirable legislation or other suitable endeavors in the interests of education and of women educators.
- To endow scholarships to aid outstanding women educators in pursuing graduate study and to grant fellowships to non-member women educators.
- To stimulate the personal and professional growth of members and to encourage their participation in appropriate programs of action.
- To inform the members of current economic, social, political and educational issues so that they may participate effectively in a world society.
Themes of the Society
- Chapter Theme: "Be the Possibility for Alpha Chapter. Engage, Educate and Enrich!"
- State Theme: "Expand the Vision: Educate, Inspire, Encourage"
- International Theme: "85 Years and Beyond: Advancing Key Women Educators for Life"
Vision Statement of the Society
- Leading women educators impacting education worldwide.